By Tiffany Turner-Coats, board-certified Health and Wellness Coach
Today I wanted to talk about some of the areas that Health and Wellness Coaches focus on with coaching clients.
In Health and Wellness Coaching, we focus on 8 dimensions of wellness, which are all interconnected. In coaching, you and I will work together to understand how these areas influence each other and contribute to your overall health and well-being. Here’s how each dimension affects health:
1. Physical Wellness: Coaching in the area of physical wellness involves taking care of your body through regular exercise, proper nutrition, and adequate sleep. It contributes to overall health by reducing the risk of chronic diseases, maintaining a healthy weight, improving cardiovascular fitness, enhancing immune function, and promoting longevity.
2. Emotional Wellness: Emotional wellness refers to the ability to understand and manage your emotions effectively. It includes having a positive self-image, coping with stress, and maintaining healthy relationships. Emotional well-being positively impacts physical health by reducing the risk of mental health disorders, improving immune function, reducing inflammation, and promoting better sleep. We may work on some of this in coaching, or if you need a mental health counselor we will talk about a good referral.
3. Intellectual Wellness: Intellectual wellness involves engaging in lifelong learning, critical thinking, and expanding knowledge. It can enhance overall health by stimulating the brain, improving cognitive function, reducing the risk of age-related cognitive decline, and promoting mental well-being. Not only that, but learning keeps your life interesting and helps you keep up with the times.
4. Social Wellness: Social wellness focuses on building and maintaining positive relationships with others, fostering a sense of belonging and support. This is an important area to focus on in Health and Wellness coaching because social isolation can lead to depression. Social Wellness coaching contributes to health by reducing loneliness and isolation, improving mental health, providing emotional support, and promoting healthy behaviors through social influence.
5. Spiritual Wellness: Spiritual wellness involves finding meaning and purpose in life, connecting with something greater than oneself, and developing personal beliefs and values. It positively impacts health by promoting a sense of peace, reducing stress, enhancing resilience, providing hope and optimism, and improving overall well-being. This is often an overlooked area in the coaching field, but it’s vitally important.
6. Occupational Wellness: Coaching in the area of occupational wellness refers to finding satisfaction and fulfillment in your work or chosen career path. It contributes to health by reducing work-related stress, promoting work-life balance, increasing job satisfaction, improving productivity, and enhancing overall mental well-being. Given that you spend so much of your day at work, being satisfied with your occupation is important for overall health.
7. Environmental Wellness: Environmental wellness involves being aware of and actively seeking to improve the quality of the environment around you. It contributes to health by reducing exposure to pollutants, promoting sustainable practices, enhancing overall well-being, and fostering a connection with nature.
8. Financial Wellness: Financial wellness involves effectively managing your financial resources, reducing financial stress, and planning for the future. It impacts health by reducing stress-related health issues, promoting a sense of security, improving mental well-being, and enabling access to healthcare and other resources. This is an area where many haven’t received a lot of education. Coaching to help you understand your money mindset can pay off big time to reduce one of the largest stressors people tend to have.
Overall, each dimension of wellness is interconnected and plays a crucial role in promoting physical, mental, and emotional health. Health and Wellness Coaching at Legacy Counseling Service in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma strived to create balance across all dimensions. This can lead to a more holistic and healthier lifestyle.
If you are looking to improve any area of wellness, I would love to help. I provide coaching in person for those in the Tulsa metro area and across the United States through online coaching. Book a free consultation today at www.legacycounselingservices.com